There are so many different ways you can set up storage in your garage using shelves. Consider the ideas below before starting your new project!
Garages can sometimes become a neglected part of your household. All you need is some great garage shelf ideas to spruce up your space. Utilizing this once-ignored area can be a great way to free up the living areas inside your house.
In this post, we will take a look at some great ideas that you and your family can use to reorganize the space. We will also tackle some things to know before starting so that your project will best meet your needs.
You like this garage door? This is an Eastman E-11, 10'x7', Desert Sand door and overlays, 8 lite Panoramic windows
Preparation is Key
Prior to beginning your new project, let’s survey the area and think about what your goals might be. Consider what you will more than likely be storing on the shelves – do you have a lot of tools and renovation equipment? Is it old keepsake items you want to eventually pass down?
Because heat and humidity are typically present in garages, remember that moisture can build up. Look around in your current area for signs of condensation that might reveal another project is needed before starting to install shelves. Why does this matter?
Condensation Can Lead To:
● Metal containing rust build up
● Paper or cloth with mildew
● Possible damage to photos
● Possible paint damage on photo frames
● In some cases, mold growth
Not sure you want to take on that challenge? No problem! Call in a garage door professional to check everything out.
Now that the moisture level is fixed inside your garage, let’s dive right into the best garage shelf ideas and how each can help you reach your goals.
Standard Shelving Ideas
There are many different types of shelf systems including those made of plastic, metal, and metal/wood combinations. They are typically free standing but offer lots of value as their set-up is endless.
Most of these types of shelving systems are quite bland. Think about adding a coat of paint if you are concerned about aesthetics in your area. Consider the following material options before making any decisions.
You like getting things organized AND cute? See these 25 garage door storage ideas from Abby Lawson, justagirlandherblog.com
Exploring the Available Shelf Systems
● Plastic – Plastic shelves can hold a surprising amount of weight even though they might not seem like it. Typically, they are lightweight, very affordable, and found in most stores including those online. Keep in mind that if you plan on storing heavier items such as tools or large heavy bins, plastic shelving might not be the best option.
● Metal/Wood – Metal and wood shelving have many different pros and cons. Because these shelves are lined with metal frames, they are typically extremely sturdy. The shelf pieces are made of different kinds of wood but are definitely susceptible to staining and other blemishes. These types of shelves are also widely available in-store or online.
● All-Metal – Metal shelving systems don’t offer a ton of aesthetic appeal, but they are the sturdiest overall. These shelves can be made of solid metal or metal wiring, and are best for those looking to store very heavy items.
Shelves on the Wall
Wall-mounted shelves are another great option. These shelves are anchored to the wall and hold different amounts of weight depending on the material of the shelf. These shelves are commonly available as wood, metal, or a wood/metal combination.
Things to Consider with Wall-Mounted Shelves
● These shelves can save floor space
● These systems are typically smaller and can hold much less
● Flexibility in where you install the shelves
● Lots of options when it comes to design and aesthetic look of shelves
Installing Shelves Overhead
Another option is the overhead shelving systems. These shelves are typically made of metal and must be attached to the ceiling of your space. These shelves contain space above for storage as well as an area to hang other items such as bikes or outdoor equipment.
Browse these 10 Great Overhead Storage Ideas For The Garage from Homedit
What to Consider with Overhead Systems
● These shelves do not take up any floor space
● Consider that the shelving might be difficult to set up depending on your door rig
● Some options include adding shelving directly above the garage door
● These types of overhead shelves add a user-friendly aspect to the space but are unable to provide the same type of storage volume as some other options
After considering all the different options, it’s best to first take a look at your own space to decide what type of shelving would be best. Also consider your goal – would you prefer more storage over style? Keep this in mind while making a decision.
Do your garage door tracks require maintenance? Is your garage door old and damaged to the point of needing a replacement? Take care of those before moving forward with any storage project. Contact a professional to help.
Are you thinking about replacing your garage door entirely before starting your storage project? If you’re worried about the cost of this repair- think again! Consider these facts about the cost of a garage door.
You like full-view garage doors? These are California, 6'x8'-6" and 16'x 8'-6", Black aluminum frame, Sandblasted glass
Look into Updating Your Garage Door
Contact the experts in your area to learn more about the type of garage doors they have to offer as well as their installation, maintenance and repair services.
We can help guide you to your final goal and make sure that your new shelving systems maximize space inside your garage while also keeping in mind design.
Seacoast Overhead Door Inc. has plenty of options to get in touch. The most efficient way to contact them is to ask for a quotation via email.
Check out our 3 styles of homes to help decide on what garage door might look best!
Call us at 1-888-754-0357.
We can’t wait to meet you and help you on your new garage journey!
Looking for more inspiration?
Check out our Design Centre. It’s a great way to envision different styles of garage doors on your own home by simply uploading a picture.
Still on the fence?
There are plenty of beautiful residential garage doors waiting for you here. Check out all the designs we have to offer so that we can better help you achieve your goals.